Initially funded via Kickstarter and ranked the 2nd most funded lens project of all time, this is the world’s first consumer-grade probe lens which focuses from 2:1 macro to infinity and with a compelling wide angle ‘Bug Eye’ perspective. The wide angle design means much more depth of field at close distance than conventional telephoto macro lens so that more background details can now be seen. The front barrel of the lens is waterproof and a LED ring light is mounted at the tip of the lens. It covers both standard 35mm full frame & Super35 image sensors and it is super light to carry.
Initially designed as a lens for macro shooters of natural subjects, this lens seems to have found its calling amongst the cine industry for product shoots. The long, narrow tip allows incredible close-up angles of products, food and machines in operation. Just search "Laowa 24mm Probe" on YouTube and prepare to have your mind blown.
Full size sample images can be found in Laowa’s Flickr gallery here.
- The LED ring light at the tip of the lens requires an external power source via a USB port on the lens. It is low on power and can run for about 5 hours off a 5000MAh powerbank. The lens includes one standard USB cable and one with a brightness controller for the light.
- Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony FE, Pentax K, Arri PL mounts are available.
- The Canon Cine and ARRI versions have gears on the focus and aperture rings.
- All versions have a declicked aperture
Want to rent this lens? It is available in SA from the following gear houses -
- Company | Media Film Service
- Mount | PL
- Contact | Antonio Mendonca
- Mail | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone | 021 511 3300
- Company | JR Film
- Mount | EF Standard
- Contact | Jimmy Reynolds
- Mail | email@example.com
- Phone | 0723409668