Laowa 2x Macro – Simple Optical Perfection. Laowa's range of 2:1 macro lenses are steadily securing a reputation as the gold standard in glass for the macro world. These lenses offer class-leading optical performance, magnification and price by foregoing autofocus and stabilisation; systems that are seldom used in serious macro photography.
At first glance, the range might seem confusing, but it is actually very simple. Of the six lenses in the 2x range, 4 are basically the same lens, but for different mounts and sensor sizes.
- Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - Full Frame DSLR (also available in adapted mirrorless)
- Laowa 90mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - Full Frame Mirrorless
- Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - APS-C Mirrorless
- Laowa 50mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - MFT/M43
Two additional 2x lenses were introduced in 2022, both for full frame mirrorless. A much smaller and lighter version of the 90mm and a much wider 58mm.
- 85mm f/5.6 2x Ultra Macro APO - Full Frame Mirrorless, Ultra compact and light
- 58mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - Full Frame Mirrorless, Wide 2x lens
- Incredible Sharpness, Corner to Corner – Laowa's goal from the outset has always been to keep their lenses simple and focus on perfect optics. Their 2x macro lenses deliver class-leading sharpness across the frame, even at 2x magnification, which is a big part of what has made these lenses so popular.
- Apochromatic Optics – All of Laowa's 2x macro lenses feature 3x low-dispersion elements to keep chromatic abberation to an absolute minimun in both in-focus and out-of-focus areas.
- Beautiful Bokeh – Building on the importance of out-of-focus areas, the 2x lenses all feature a 13-blade iris design that delivers beautiful soft bokeh and round highlights.
- Internal Focusing – The 2:1 magnification requires a massive travel distance of lens elements, but this all happens internally to ensure that a skittish subject might not be disturbed.
- Built like a Tank – The first thing you'll notice when you pick up a Laowa lens is the feel - their lenses are built for outdoor use and are without a doubt some of the most indestructible lenses in the industry.
Full size sample images can be found in Laowa’s gallery here.
|Angle of View
|12 elements in 10 groups
|9 (Canon), 7 (Nikon), 13 (Sony, Canon R, Nikon Z)
|Min. Focusing Distance
|Φ72mm×125mm (Canon EF & Nikon F)
Φ72mm×155mm (Canon R, Nikon Z & Sony FE)
|638g (Canon EF & Nikon F)
650g (Canon R, Nikon Z & Sony FE)
|Canon EF & RF / Nikon F & Z / Sony FE